Sunday, November 04, 2007

Postcard from Patagonia

During my trip to Patagonia I stayed for three days at Estancia Alice on the shores of Lago Argentina (the largest lake in Argentina) near El Calafate in the foothills of the Patagonian Andes at 50.20S,72.31W. It was here that I was able to hire a Raleigh M20 mountain bike for an hour to remind my cycling muscles that they had not been forgotton while away from Maalie court.

Maalie in the Patagonian steppes:
In the middle distance is Lago Argentino
with the foothills of the Andes behind.
(The high peaks are concealed in cloud)


The bike was evidently well-used by visitors to the ranch, it was very squeaky and must have recently run into something as the front wheel was slightly elliptical and, until I got used to it, it felt like I was riding one of those trick cycles with an excentric wheel. Nevertheless it was serviceable and fit for my purpose.

Andes are for men:
The Moreno Glacier in the Patagonian Andes
with Chilean Firebush in the foreground


Alone in a foreign country, I was reluctant to wander too far off-road alone and contented myself with a spin (15km) along the shore of Lago Argentino on the road through steppe habitat. At 6.30am there was no traffic to concern me, but birds seen included Andean Condor, Upland Goose, Southern Lapwing and Black-chested Buzzard-Eagle.

Read more about my trip here: Part 1; Part 2; Part 3.

(Posted by: Maalie)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 12:09 pm, November 12, 2007, Blogger TCA said...

Brilliant!

Thank you for thinking of us while you were away.

W

 
At 1:19 pm, November 12, 2007, Blogger Maalie said...

Gosh, what an intrepid explorer!

 
At 2:56 am, November 13, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

Fantastic pictures

 
At 8:53 pm, November 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one Maalie, sounds like a great trip, but i don't like the look of those rigid forks!

More photos and blogs please!

Ad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home