Thursday, January 04, 2007

Into 2007 with the TCA

With John determined to put his best foot forward towards his New Year's resolution to "get a bit fitter" and Al keen to lose some of his "Christmas excess" we thought it best to make a start. We were not feeling particularly inspired though and, Jon having been up the Trundle earlier in the week, chose our 'old faithful', Hambledon #1 route (maps here). Jon was round to Al's pretty early but we dawdled over a cup of tea and a chat about our holidays and, having donned our usual thermal protection, eventually left at about 19:00. The rain of previous evenings had eased and, although it was overcast, we were left with a perfect evening for a cycle.

After a while Al had wished that he had also chosen shorts; with legging's and the new thermal base layer that Santa had left he was soon sweating profusely in the unseasonably warm weather. In truth there is nothing much to report - the ride was very similar to the recent outing at the end of November - the conditions were wet and muddy throughout guaranteeing odd looks from the locals at The White Lion at Soberton and Traveler's Rest at Newtown (had there been any locals), even before Al passed up the offer of a beer (month off; his New Year 's resolution). In fact the deserted pubs were perhaps the most remarkable thing - it felt like we were on the set of Day of the Triffids - there was no one else around!

The White Lion: Kicking!

Thankfully the mutant plants hadn't got to Trudy who was on hand to knock out a chicken curry for the TCA after their obligatory strip on the step and hose down. A gentle but enjoyable start to 2007.


Jon proposes a toast to absent members while
Al enjoys his blackcurrant & soda water
('Happy' New Year my a*se!)

(Posted by: Al)

Labels: , , ,

18 Comments:

At 9:23 pm, January 07, 2007, Blogger Maalie said...

Good luck to TCA in 2007. Loads of mountain-bikers up in the Pyrenees today (Sunday), gorgeous crisp sunny weather, ideal for biking I would think. I nearly took a few out on the hairpins, they were all over the place!

 
At 9:23 am, January 08, 2007, Blogger TCA said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:29 pm, January 08, 2007, Blogger Ju's little sister said...

Sounds like a good start TCA - better to ease into it than go rushing madly about and hurting something essential. Welcome to the New Year,
JLS

 
At 8:45 pm, January 08, 2007, Blogger Ju's little sister said...

TCA - don't know if it's you or me, but I cannot seem to see the two piccies on the "Into 2007 with the TCA" post. even tried opening the links, to no avail. :-(

 
At 4:42 am, January 09, 2007, Blogger TCA said...

Well done fella's good to see the old guard carrying the beacon into the New Year! Sound's like a quiet opener to the TCA calender.
Pic's not visible though, so I can't see you drooling over the usual pint of nice warm beer?

B.B.

 
At 4:59 pm, January 10, 2007, Blogger TCA said...

Thanks for the the comments on the pics - I can't see tham on my work computer either, will check it out when I get a moment over the weekend, no idea what's going wrong...

 
At 8:21 am, January 11, 2007, Blogger Estelle des Chevaliers said...

Bicycles are all very well I suppose, but don't you think horses are more dignified?

 
At 3:35 pm, January 11, 2007, Blogger TCA said...

Horses?

NO, They shit on all the cycle routes!

 
At 1:51 am, January 17, 2007, Blogger Ju's little sister said...

"Our mission is to seek out adventure and good beer using environmentally sustainable transportation, whatever the conditions..."
TCA 2006

Question: Don't horses fit into two of the main sections of the mission statement?
1. Environmentally sustainable
2. whatever the conditions (horse shit)

???

(just wondering) :-D

JLS

 
At 9:13 pm, January 17, 2007, Blogger TCA said...

JLS: All fair points. I'm not keen on horses though - my father put me on the back of one in a field when I was little and it ran off with me. Never looked at them the same since. (And they smell)

W

 
At 9:13 pm, January 17, 2007, Blogger TCA said...

JLS: All fair points. I'm not keen on horses though - my father put me on the back of one in a field when I was little and it ran off with me. Never looked at them the same since. (And they smell)

W

 
At 10:22 pm, January 17, 2007, Blogger simon said...

I had given up on beer in the new year too....... it lasted one day :o(


I own a horse too...

 
At 6:29 am, January 18, 2007, Blogger Ju's little sister said...

fair enough TCA, it's a decent reason. :-)
I like Simon's answer a little better though ;-)

 
At 10:07 pm, January 19, 2007, Blogger simon said...

Al, did you get my email re how train for hill climbs??

 
At 10:09 pm, January 19, 2007, Blogger simon said...

thanks Ju's...

Our horse is an Appaloosa called chunky. Also had an Austalian brumby too whcih I got from Leigh creek in South Australia.... broke him in..... then sadly had to sell him...

i find bikes easier.. you don't have to feed them in a drought :o)

 
At 9:45 am, January 22, 2007, Blogger lorenzothellama said...

You can brake a bike and get off easier than you can brake a horse.

 
At 8:45 am, January 23, 2007, Blogger Ju's little sister said...

I don't understand - it's easy to come off a horse!

I'm sorry folks, but I have to admit to liking horses over bikes. Just a little bit. Probably because I'm so unfit!
And I agree with EDC, they are far more dignified (and romantic). Nice profile pic by the way, I always stop to check it out each time.

Simon I'm sorry to hear about the way the drought is affecting animals. I saw some photos of a farm from a kiwi family just returned from there. Not very pretty at all. :-(

 
At 9:38 am, January 23, 2007, Blogger simon said...

hey Ju's its really critical. last night we had bush fire smoke... and animals comming up to drink from our water tank..

towns are trucking water in.. its like africa.... :o(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home