Thursday, December 07, 2006

Forth Road Runner

Technically I suppose the TCA, being an association, is all about group activities. However, it being TCA night with slim prospect of a posting I thought I would mention my solo effort: While away from home in Scotland I like to stay at The Priory Lodge in South Queensferry. Sandwiched on the shore between the famous rail and road bridges, it's conveniently located near the airport and major routes to the north and west, as well as Edinburgh city centre.

The forth road and rail bridges from South Queenserry

However, it's also got a delightful village-like feel to it with a chippy (translation for kiwis: fush & chup shop, Ed.), a superb curry house, a swish seafood restaurant (for entertaining colleagues/customers) and a blinding pub - The Ferry Tap - which serves Dark Island from Orkney, one of my all-time favorite beers. All these establishments offer spectacular views of both bridges and across the Firth of Forth to North Queensferry. This is Home from Home for the seasoned traveller.

What's this got to do with the TCA (I hear you ask)? Well, to justify the Orkney Dark and Queen's Spice chef's special chicken madras I often go for a run up and down the shore. With my legs still a bit stiff from the weekend's Ulverston Xmas Pud 10k I though tonight in particular would be ideal for a gentle run to loosen everything up a bit before my traditional night out. Still not worth a post really but tonight I had a long-held ambition in mind - to run across the 3300ft Forth Road Bridge to North Queensferry and back.


The forth road bridge

Having made a recce the previous evening to determine whether the feat was possible (in terms of pedestrianisation rather than distance), running to the apex and back, tonight was the night for the full length. The evening before was a lovely evening; calm, moonlit night and the bridge offered great views of the famous red rail bridge to the east, and a nice photo opportunity. It was a little breezy tonight, cold - 6 degrees C - and light rain in the air. Still, a spectacular place to go for a quick run before dinner. what's more tonight was the night the Christmas lights are turned on in Queensferry and the fireworks added to the sense of occasion.

The forth rail bridge by night


Must get my hands on a bike next time... and some Scottish friends.

(Posted by: Al)

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 10:48 pm, December 07, 2006, Blogger simon said...

you went for a jog! without wheels!....well done mate. All of my rides are solo efforts.

 
At 12:21 am, December 08, 2006, Blogger TCA said...

A bridge too far! Curry sounded ace. I am enthused and will make more of my solo blog efforts in the future.Like the time I went to the Hamilton famous pie shop on my bike :o)

B.B

 
At 3:34 am, December 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful.
No aplogies ness.

 
At 6:32 am, December 08, 2006, Blogger TCA said...

Simon

I do NOT 'jog' I RUN!


Al

 
At 9:42 am, December 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice picture of the bridge!

 
At 9:43 am, December 10, 2006, Blogger TCA said...

JM - I ran back again.. but you make a good point because I noticed barriers which said 'Closed to Cyclists and Pedestrians'. I would have been in a right old pickle if they had decided to close the bridge before I had a chance to run back. The only options would have been to catch a train from North to South Queensferry of persuade a boatman to give me a lift.

 
At 4:35 am, December 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just discovered that BillyBob works for the city who has been confirmed as having the highest number of good looking cows (in NZ of course).

Care to comment BB??

 
At 4:37 am, December 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just discovered that BillyBob works for the city who has been confirmed as having the highest number of good looking cows (in NZ of course).

Care to comment BB??

 
At 10:26 pm, December 17, 2006, Blogger simon said...

Merry Christmas TCA! And everyone!

 
At 4:48 am, January 07, 2007, Blogger TCA said...

Sorry just seen your comment JLS.
Yes indeed there are some fine looking cows in this City I believe it is the lush fertile Waikato plains that is responsible. However non come close the Aberdeen Angus which has a certain chiselled look and firm muscular hind quarters:o)

B.B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home